The 4-7-8 breathing technique is easy once you understand it. However, you need to be careful to ensure you are doing it correctly.
- To open your lungs, exhale and let go of any tension in your shoulders. You can also gently roll your shoulders and move your hips to relax if you are feeling particularly tight.
- Keep your mouth shut and your tongue gently pressing on your roof. Next, take a slow and deep breath through your nose. This will give you a mental count for four. Hold your breath for seven seconds.
- Next, close your mouth and press your tongue on the roof of the mouth. For eight counts, exhale slowly.
- Continue this process for four more cycles.
Teachers say that shallow-breathing people may feel lightheaded when they take deeper, more fuller breaths. As your body adjusts to the increased oxygen flow, this feeling will disappear. If you feel lightheaded, you can stop breathing and go back to normal. You can resume the breathing technique once you feel normal. Even if you don’t succeed, it will still be helpful. It might be easier to do the exercise sitting down when you first start.
It’s important that you only do four cycles consecutively when starting the practice. After 30 days, you can increase your number of reps to eight.
Similar breathing exercises can be practiced by slowing down your breathing, counting your exhalations and inhalations, or focusing on the sound or feel of your breath. The 4-7-8 technique’s key feature is that counting keeps you focused and leaves little room for worrying thoughts.
Many people live with anxiety when they shouldn’t. Many of the ways you can reduce anxiety and stress are simple. This simple breathing technique could actually be the difference between anxiety and a calmer and more relaxed everyday default state.
This breathing technique is one of the best ways to cope with anxiety. It has been shown to reduce high blood pressure, improve digestion and breath control as well as regulate stress levels. These are the main benefits of consistently using the 4/7 8 breathing technique.
- A feeling of calm and security when you are stressed.
- Better Sleep (easier to fall asleep and stay asleep).
- Focus is more focused at work, home, school or just relaxing with friends and family.
- Lower anxiety levels.
- There is less muscle tension.
- Increased cardiovascular stamina, heart rate variability and cardiovascular endurance
- Increased blood pressure
- Improvements in symptoms associated with common breathing conditions like asthma, COPD, and others.
- Improved digestion.
- Concentration improvement
- Assistance with anxiety management
Breathing as a relaxation technique is great because it can be combined with meditation or yoga.
Is it possible that 4-7-8 Breathing Method is for anyone?
You should only do four cycles of the 4-7-8 cycle. This is because controlled breathing can lead to lightheadedness. Follow the guidelines and you will notice a decrease in anxiety and calmness.
How long is it going to take to feel the effects of 4-7-8 breathing?
You should notice positive effects within a matter of days if you practice 4-7-8 breathing two times per day, every day. You’ll notice more positive effects after six weeks. For example, better sleep and lower blood pressure.
How does the 4-7-8 Breathing make sense?
The 4-7-8 method divides your breathing into three phases. This allows you to take a relaxed breath and force your body and mind to regulate your breathing. This is a natural tranquilizer that Dr. Weil describes as an relaxant.
Keep a mental count of the phases and your breathwork. Count your inhale and hold, then count your exhale. It is best to do this exercise while standing straight throughout.